Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Yesterday, we had been doing school, when Mom shrieked "Look! a hawk is trying to get a sparrow!" We all rushed to the window and looked out at the big sparrow bush. Sure enough there was a big bird trying unsuccessfully, to jump from one branch to the other, catch one. They seemed to be mocking him, hopping with ease around the tangled bush knowing he couldn't keep up with them. They didn't all stay though. Some grew so scared that they left the mean game, but the braver ones stayed until the poor hawk gave up and flew away. Upset that I didn't get a good picture, I went online to see if I could figure out what He was. There were a few kinds that looked similar but I wasn't sure and I hoped He would come back. He did! For some strange reason he just sat next to the bush where he had failed miserably earlier. I think he was looking for moles, voles, and that kind of stuff. After he discovered that where he was wasn't high enough, he flew up to the tree house tree. After about five minutes he got impatient and flew away. Dad and I quickly looked at the different species and found that he was a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. I hope he comes back again today!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome, I've never heard of a Sharp-Sinned Hawk!!!

Ps: What kind of bird is in your home page background?